ABOUT FANQUI Owners: Joshua and Beth Bevins, Danvers, MA This 47’ Elco Motor Yacht is one of six built in 1946-1947 and she is one of three still known to exist. Her lines are the same as the PT boats which Elco built for speed during WWII. PT109 was an Elco. With three V12 Packard engines in 86’ of boat burning 190 gallons of fuel per hour, the Elco PT was capable of speeds of 84 MPH. In her prime, this 47-foot peacetime version could do up to 30 MPH. But we are very happy with the 19-20 MPH she musters now. We are her fourth owners, as near as we can trace. Her original name and owner are unknown. We believe her second owner, a Mr. Gillon, named her TARA. Her third owner, Alex Moffat, renamed her FANQUI(pronounced FAN-KWEE) Mr. Moffat was a buff on the China trade out of Salem, MA. The name FANQUI roughly translates into “White Devil (or spirit)” which is what the Chinese often called American traders. Mr. Moffat lived aboard FANQUI for years at Pickering Wharf in Salem and could frequently be seen in Manchester Harbor, at Misery Island and, during the summer, in Vinalhaven, ME. We moved aboard in December 1985, figuring that if the winter went well, we surely would enjoy the summer. Ten years, one child and three parrots later, FANQUI was still our home. We lived at Pickering Wharf and along the Danvers River at the Danversport Yacht Club, Liberty Marina and Riverview Marina. February 13, 1995, was our last day as live-aboards. We moved on land with great ambivalence. It is wonderful to have the space and laundry facilities which a two-bedroom bungalow affords, but there is nothing like waking up to the sound of lobster boats going out in the morning. Some of our more memorable excursions included a Tall Ships visit to Boston Harbor, cruising up the Charles River to concerts on the Esplinade, evenings cooling off at Misery Island, and getaway weekends to Gloucester. One foggy night-run from World’s End in Hull, MA, almost ended in disaster outside of Marblehead Harbor, but Josh’s fine seamanship brought us home safely. Joshua has labored hard, long, and lovingly to maintain and restore her “to save a little of the past for the future.” Besides the usual painting and repair, he rebuilt the flybridge. (The original flybridge was an after-market addition by Elco designer Irwin Chase in response to complaints from owners that “Chris Crafts have ‘em and we want ‘em too!”) He replaced the settee in the main salon according to original plans (the only modernizations were the use of a futon for a cushion and the addition of built-in file drawers). Several years ago he replaced the lower half of the transome and most recently restored the bow and 75% of the port side rails and above. All planks at the chine and numerous bottom planks have been replaced. Last count, he refastened 9,000 screws! Currently, Fanqui is dry-docked in Gloucester, MA, with her engines pulled for overhaul. She is still in a state of restoration and in need of an energetic owner with the knowledge, desire, and resources to bring her back to her full glory. Contact Joshua @ 978-281-1247 The price is negotiable and all fair offers will be considered.
Number of Engines
Incoming search terms:
- 1947 ELCO
- Elco 47 sedan cruiser completely restored
- Elco cruisers 1946-1947
- elco motor yachts liberty V12